I am not much of a tossed salad person. There are a few salads I like, such as seafood salad, and chicken, bacon avocado, corn salad. I usually like warm food, and sometimes salads make me feel chilly. There are occasions when it is good to feel refreshed by a cool salad, and that’s what I’m writing about today. I devour this salad, especially on a hot summer day. It’s ideal for family picnics, potlucks, and other large gatherings. What is this delicious salad, you ask? It’s berry mandarin tossed salad, and it’s amazing. Check it out and see what you think.
The Recipe Backstory
My dear late sister-in-law introduced me to this salad years ago. She also made a few substitutions when she didn’t have an ingredient on hand. She kindly shared the substitutions with me as well. I remember her when I make this. It pairs well with many main dishes. We most recently had it at a family barbeque. Here are the tasty ingredients and directions.
Berry Mandarin Tossed Salad Ingredients
8 cups torn mixed salad greens
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 11-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained
1 medium sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 and 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard (I like to use Coleman’s, which comes in a yellow tin)
1/2 teaspoon grated onion
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
Dash of salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Directions for Berry Mandarin Tossed Salad
Toast the almonds in a skillet over medium heat. Remember to stir to avoid scorching. When almonds start to brown, remove from heat.
In a salad bowl, combine the greens, strawberries, oranges, onions, almonds, and bacon. Set aside.
In a 2 cup microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar, cider vinegar, honey, lemon juice, paprika, ground mustard, grated onion, celery seed, and salt.
Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1 and 1/2 to 2 minutes. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in vegetable oil.
Drizzle the tossed salad with the dressing. Toss gently. Makes 12-14 servings.
Berry Mandarin Tossed salad
- 8 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 11-ounce can mandarin oranges drained
- 1 medium sweet onion sliced into rings
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 4 bacon strips cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard I like to use Coleman’s, which comes in a yellow tin.
- 1/2 teaspoon grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Dash of salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- In a salad bowl, combine the greens, strawberries, oranges, onions, almonds, and bacon. Set aside.
- In a 2 cup microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar, cider vinegar, honey, lemon juice, paprika, ground mustard, grated onion, celery seed, and salt. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1 and 1/2 to 2 minutes. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in vegetable oil.
- Drizzle the tossed salad with the dressing. Toss gently.
My sister-in-law shared a few substitutions with me. Here are the changes she would make if needed. If she was short on time, some of these tricks helped save her a few minutes. A few of these substitutions were made because she didn’t have the exact ingredient in the pantry. Here are her favorite tips:
- Sometimes, she would use regular mustard instead of the ground mustard.
- If she didn’t have time to grate fresh onion into the salad dressing, she used dried, chopped onions (minced, dried onions would also work well)
- She did not always toast the almonds. She would just put the raw almonds in the salad. No one minded.
- Sometimes she used bacon bits instead of read bacon. (Bacon Crumbles from Costco would be perfect.)
Are You Now Craving Delicious Berry Mandarin Salad?
I’m going to make it this week. The sweet, crunchy coolness is calling my name. If you decide to try this recipe, I’d love to know what you like to serve it with. Did you take it to a large gathering and receive rave reviews? If you like what you’ve read today, please consider subscribing and becoming part of the Fluxing Well tribe. You will receive fresh ideas every week, plus access to a library of free printable resources, including a free cookbook filled with the best easy recipes from the Fluxing Well website.
If you would like even more recipe ideas, consider following my Easy Recipes board on Pinterest. Have a fabulous day, and enjoy experiencing berry mandarin tossed salad.